Saturday, November 8, 2014
C. S. Lakin
Creating Unforgettable Scenes that Really Cook
- Explore the various ways scenes can be constructed.
- Learn the elements that make a scene sizzle.
- Examine how good writers are like good cooks, using a variety of ingredients and spices, and simmering until boiling.
- Look at the three major components of scene excerpts from best-selling novels to evaluate what works and doesn’t work in their scene construction.
- Understand how strong scene construction is vital in creating a successful novel.
Susanne Lakin (C. S. Lakin) is a novelist and writing coach who divides her time between developing new book ideas and helping writers polish theirs. She is the author of fourteen novels, six contemporary, seven fantasy/sci-fi, and one historical Western romance. She guests on top writing blogs, e.g., Writers Digest and Jane Friedman, teaches workshops, and runs or participates in critique teams around the country. Her own winning blog, Live Write Thrive, offers intense, in-depth instruction in novel writing as well as encouragement and advice for writers in marketing, promotion, and indie publishing.
- Sign-in: 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 noon
- Luncheon: 12:00 noon – 12:45 p.m. (including short business meeting)
- Speaker: 1:00 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: cash and check on site Members $20/Guests $25; PayPal (click “buy now”) $22/$27. NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions at the sign-in table are no longer possible.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at ragig (at) aol (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations. Reservation deadline: Wed., Nov. 5, 2014 at noon.
Events Calendar for the rest of our season
Nov. 8: C. S. Lakin, Sizzling Scenes, from this writing coach and author of fourteen novels – six contemporary novels, seven in the fantasy/sci-fi genre, and one historical Western romance
Dec. 13: Three of our Own: Andrew Benzie, Dina Coleman, Melanie Denman, Top Ten Tips on Self-Publishing
Jan. 10: tba
Feb. 14: Susan Shea, author of mysteries set in the world of art and finance
Mar. 14: Jordan Rosenfeld, Make a Scene, Craft Workshop
Apr. 11: tba
May 9: Young Writers Contest; Marissa Moss, publisher of Creston Books
June 13: tba