Saturday, March 8, 2014
What you will learn:
- how to create memorable rather than stereotypical clichéd characters
- cultural coding—how to pivot from the character’s first impression
- want vs. need—understanding the character’s essential must-have need, which underpins his/her desires
- the importance of characters’ past setbacks, traumas, wounds
- ways to create memorable characters through Myers Briggs, astrology, and so on
Marilyn Atlas is a talent/literary manager and producer involved in debut books for HarperCollins, Grant Central Publishing, and Source Books. The Lifetime channel is shooting her movie Peer Pressure this year, and she is developing a musical based on her Sundance-winning film, Real Women Have Curves (originally produced for HBO). She is in development on the movie Lola Goes to Rome and is working on a pilot that she sold originally to Showtime. She is featured in the book Write Now! from Penguin-Tarcher. Marilyn is committed to projects that celebrate diversity.
- Sign-in: 8:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m.
- Breakfast: 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- General meeting: 9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Workshop: 9:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA.
- Members: $45; Non-members: $55
- To attend, contact Robin Gigoux at ragig (at) aol (dot) com, or phone 925-933-9670 for reservations. Reservation deadline: Wed., Mar. 5, 2014 at noon.
Events Calendar for the rest of our season
Mar. 8: Workshop, Marilyn Atlas. Board meeting, 1:15-2:15 pm. All members invited.
Mar. 27: Deadline, Young Writers Contest entries.
Apr. 12: Board meeting, 10-11 am. All members invited. Monthly meeting: speaker Jordan Rosenfeld, “Making a Scene”
May 10: Board meeting, 10-11 am. All members invited. Monthly meeting: celebrate the winners of the Young Writers Contest. Speaker: Ellen Klages
June 14: Board meeting, 10-11 am. All members invited. Monthly meeting: speaker Mary Mackey
July 12: Annual board planning session
July 19: CWC Picnic at Joaquin Miller Park