Join us on Saturday, November 12 for our Branch Meeting and Luncheon
Keeping the Hats on Straight with Joan Morris
- Balancing deadlines and managing versatility
- Surviving in the ever-shifting world of digital first journalism
- Shifting gears while driving 90 on the information highway
- How today’s journalism honors versatility above all else
- Establishing yourself as a go-to person, over and over again
- Remembering the basic goal
Joan Morris is the pets and wildlife columnist for the Bay Area News Group. She also is the garden page editor and founder of Our Garden, a demonstration garden operated by the Contra Costa Master Gardeners. The garden offers free classes every Wednesday, April through October, and donates about 14,000 pounds of fresh produce each year to the Monument Crisis Center.
Joan was born in Texas and raised in New Mexico. She earned a BA degree in journalism, with a minor in Russian Studies, from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. She joined the staff of the Contra Costa Times in 1988 and has had various reporting and editing positions. Four years ago she inherited the pets and wildlife column when longtime columnist Gary Bogue retired. Her column now appears five days a week in the East Bay Times, and twice a week in the Mercury News.
You can register online (see below for cost)
- Sign-in: starts at 11:15 a.m.
- Luncheon 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Speaker: 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: cash and check on site Members $25/Guests $30; PayPal (click “buy now”; pay $27/$32). NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions are currently not possible at the door.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at s CWCrobin.gigoux@yahoo (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations (don’t forget to add $2 for the transaction fee). Reservation deadline: Wed., Nov. 9, 2016 at noon.*
*In accordance with our contractual agreement with Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, the club is charged for every reservation confirmed on the day before the meeting. If you are not able to attend this meeting and do not cancel your reservation prior to noon on the Friday before the meeting, you will be asked to remit the relevant fee as a no-show payment for the event.
Nov 12: Joan Morris, Keeping the Hats on Straight
Dec. 10: Three of Our Own, Resources for Writers
Jan 14: Catherine Bramkamp, Pitching, Social Media, Book Promotion
Feb. 11: Meghan Ward, Writer Consortiums/Co-ops
Mar. 11: Stuart Horowitz, Finish Your Book in Three Drafts
June 10: Molly Williams, Interior Book Design