Join us on Saturday, June 10th for our Branch Meeting and Luncheon
Not Only a Cover–Judge a Book by its Pages with Molly Williams
Interior Book Design Guidelines
- Industry standard expectations as well as reader expectations that should be adhered to
- Dos and don’ts – common mistakes made in self-published books
- Technical interior design elements such as margins, pagination, and text formatting
- How and where in your book you can get creative with your interior design
Molly Williams will be talking in detail about the many elements that go into a book’s interior design, including fonts, text formatting, margins, pagination, headers/footers, display pages such as chapter openings, all frontmatter like the copyright page and table of contents, graphics and images, and backmatter such as an appendix or index for example. Given the rise in popularity of self-publishing, it is critically important that authors construct their books properly, to stand out from the crowd and look as professional as possible. There are also industry standard expectations that should be adhered to and reader expectations. Molly will discuss the do’s and don’ts and common mistakes made in self-published books.
Molly is the Publishing Director at Big Hat Press in Lafayette, CA. She has been working in the publishing industry for over 10 years. At Big Hat Press, she personally works with all book clients and handles all publishing jobs from start to finish. Molly also provides all design, layout and setup work needed.
You can register online (see below for cost)
- Sign-in: starts at 11:15 a.m.
- Luncheon 12:00–12:45 p.m.
- Speaker 1:00–2:00 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: Cash and check on site Members $25/Guests $30; PayPal (click “buy now”; pay $27/$32). NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions are currently not possible at the door.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at s CWCrobin.gigoux@yahoo (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations (don’t forget to add $2 for the transaction fee). Reservation deadline: Wed., June 8th, 2017 at noon.*
*In accordance with our contractual agreement with Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, the club is charged for every reservation confirmed on the day before the meeting. If you are not able to attend this meeting and do not cancel your reservation prior to noon on the Friday before the meeting, you will be asked to remit the relevant fee as a no-show payment for the event.
June 10: Molly Williams, Interior Book Design
Sept. 9: Dean Gloster, Writing Humor
Oct. 14: Jordan Rosenfeld, Get Intimate with Your Characters: Master POV for Dazzling Character Developmen
November 11: Arlene Miller, Grammar Diva
December 9: Three of Our Own
January 13: Amanda McTigue, Pitching
March 10: Beth Barany, Twenty Senses