Join us on Saturday, Oct. 10 for a Breakfast Workshop
Hilarious * Wrenching * Terrifying * Juicy
Writing Emotion to Move Your Readers
Amanda McTigue returns to cover a new topic in a hands-on workshop, offering insights and guiding us through exercises to help us explore the who, what, where, when, why, and how of feeling in our workto create authentic emotional material across all genres.
You will learn to
- Re-set the way you think about emotion in writing
- Locate the heart of unique emotional content
- Restore playfulness in emotional writing
- Discover new sources of emotional content
- Practice techniques that move you from cliché to
- Widen your sense of emotional landscapes
Amanda’s 2012 debut novel Going to Solace attracts interest as literary fiction and for its unusual exploration of race in the Appalachian South. She is working on a new collection of climate-collapse short stories, This is Not Water, and a second novel, Monkey Bottom. A Yale grad (member of the fourth class of undergraduate women), Amanda has written for Disney Entertainment and Paramount Entertainment. Her works for the stage have been produced at Carnegie Hall, the Minnesota Opera and the Green Music Center at Sonoma State University where she taught critical thinking, speaking and writing to first year students last year.
Read Amanda’s points about writing in McTigue’s interview.
- Sign-in: 8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
- Breakfast: 9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
- General meeting: 9:30 – 9:45 a.m.
- Workshop: 9:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: cash and check on site Members $40/Guests $50; PayPal (click “buy now”; pay $42/$52). NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions are currently not possible.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at ragig (at) aol (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations. Reservation deadline: Wed., Oct. 8, 2015 at noon.*
*In accordance with our contractual agreement with Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, the club is charged for every reservation confirmed on the day before the meeting. If you are not able to attend this meeting and do not cancel your reservation prior to noon on the Friday before the meeting, you will be asked to remit the relevant fee as a no-show payment for the event.
Events Calendar for 2015-2016 Season
Oct. 10: Amanda McTigue: Writing Emotion to Move Your Readers
Nov. 14: David Congalaton: Writing Rules of the Road
Dec. 12: Three of our own: Ann Steiner, Al Garrotto, and Lynn Goodwin, The Three Ps on the Path to Publication: Prompts, Perfection and Platform
Jan. 9: Tamara Monosoff, How to Make it to No. 1 on Amazon
Feb. 13: Roy Mash, Words to Woe By
Mar. 14: C. S. Lakin, Editing/Revising Workshop
Apr. 11: tbd
May 9: tbd
June 13: tbd