Join us on Saturday, October 8 for our Breakfast and Workshop:
Dating Your Character
Marilyn R. Atlas
- What makes a character 3-dimensional
- Deepening your character’s arc
- Working out of a character’s private, inner conflict – Want vs. Need
- Creating Powerful Subtext
- Creating a layered character in a short amount of time
- Ensuring that you have meaningful conflict stemming from diverse POVs
- Throwing your character into theoretical scenarios… to see what makes her tick
- Getting into your character’s head
An award-winning producer and personal manager of actors and writers, Marilyn R. Atlas is equally at home in the worlds of film, television, live theater and professional writing.
As a producer, Marilyn produced the award-winning Real Women Have Curves for HBO, The Choking Game for Lifetime based on a Y.A. book, the film Fragrant Desire with Sam Waterston, and various award-winning plays. Her co-authored book Dating Your Character (Stairway Press) was released August 30, 2016.
Marilyn has spoken at the San Francisco Writers Conference, the Santa Fe Screenwriters Conference and Richard Krevolin’s USC Screenwriting Retreat. Additionally, she was a guest lecturer in the Writing Program at USC, where she also teaches a class every year on creating three-dimensional, non-stereotypical characters
The “Dating Your Character” approach is rooted in the need to drill down from generalities into visually imagined, metaphor-embedded specifics. It’s a fertile way to begin the process of characterization.
- Sign-in: starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Breakfast 9to 9:30 a.m.
- Workshop: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: cash and check on site: Members $40/Guests $50; PayPal (click “buy now”) pay $42/$52. NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions are currently not possible at the door.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at s CWCrobin.gigoux@yahoo (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations (don’t forget to add $2 for the transaction fee). Reservation deadline: Wed., October 5, 2016 at noon.*
*In accordance with our contractual agreement with Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, the club is charged for every reservation confirmed on the day before the meeting. If you are not able to attend this meeting and do not cancel your reservation prior to noon on the Friday before the meeting, you will be asked to remit the relevant fee as a no-show payment for the event.
October 8: Marilyn Atlas, Dating Your Character
Nov 12: Joan Morris, TBA
Dec. 10: TBA, Three of Our Own, Resources for Writers
Feb. 11: Meghan Ward, Writer Consortiums/Co-ops
Mar. 11: Stuart Horowitz, Finish Your Book in Three Drafts