Join us on Saturday, Sept. 12 to Kick off Our New Season
Grant Faulkner on
Writing with Abandon: Overcoming procrastination and learning how a goal and a deadline pay off
Grant Faulkner, author and Executive Director of the annual NaNoWriMo will speak on
- the genesis of National Novel Writing Month and why it’s effective
- the importance of realizing your creative dreams
- how to banish one’s internal editor
- how published authors use the NaNoWriMo approach
- the 100 word story
Grant Faulkner’s presentations are full of hints from workshops on improving the quality of writing fiction or nonfiction.
Good writing requires courage—first to give voice to the truth at the heart of every story, and then to share it with a world of readers. The only way to achieve that is through an openness of spirit that can feel dangerous . . . embracing vulnerability could unlock important doors for you, your writing, and your career.
This Bay Area resident thrives on empowering people to write. Two thousand classrooms receive free resources through the Young Writers Program while “Come Write In” libraries and bookstores glow with accomplishment.
Faulkner’s stories and essays have appeared in a myriad of magazines and newspapers. He recently finished writing a novel, a collection of short stories, and a collection of one-hundred word stories. He has taught writing at the university level and in Young Writers Programs. For many years he worked in the National Writing Project to improve the teaching of writing in schools
Extra: Buck a Book–bring your used books for other members’ enjoyment. $1 a book goes into the pot for the Young Writers Contest. Bring your books and your own bags to pick up some reading for yourself. Don’t forget to take your unsold books home.
- Sign-in: 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
- Lunch and brief business meeting: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
- Speaker: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, 611 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill, CA
- Cost: cash and check on site Members $25/Guests $30; PayPal (click “buy now”; pay $27/$32). NOTE: Due to Internet access problems, credit card transactions are currently not possible.
- To attend: contact Robin Gigoux at ragig (at) aol (dot) com, phone 925-933-9670, or click “buy now” for reservations. Reservation deadline: Wed., Sept. 9, 2015 at noon.*
*In accordance with our contractual agreement with Zio Fraedo’s Restaurant, the club is charged for every reservation confirmed on the day before the meeting. If you are not able to attend this meeting and do not cancel your reservation prior to noon on the Friday before the meeting, you will be asked to remit the relevant fee as a no-show payment for the event.
Events Calendar for 2015-2016 Season
Sept. 12: Grant Faulkner for National Novel Writing Month, Writing with Abandon
Oct. 10: Amanda McTigue: Workshop on Writing Emotion
Nov. 14: David Congalaton: Writing Rules of the Road
Dec. 12: Three of our own: Ann Steiner, Al Garrotto, and Lynn Goodwin, The Three Ps on the Path to Publication: Prompts, Perfection and Platform
Jan. 9: Tamara Monosoff, How to Make it to No. 1 on Amazon
Feb. 13: Roy Mash, Words to Woe By
Mar. 14: C. S. Lakin, Workshop on Editing/Revision
Apr. 11: tbd
May 9: tbd
June 13: tbd